Tuesday, October 21, 2003

The Great Boon

A couple months ago saw the death of our much loved G3. With its demise went my ability to make music. I had been working, on and off, for the last year and a half on a follow up to my last album for family and friends, Bomba Charger, and had been using Pro Tools software installed on the G3. We upgraded to a G5 (it is a fine machine) but realized that the version of Pro Tools I currently use (namely the Digi 001) is not and probably never will be compatible with the G5.

Thanks to the tech problem solving savvy of my father-in-law, the unremitting efforts of my perpetually intrepid wife and the kind efforts of our landlord, the G3 is (hooray!) up and running again, trimmed of everything but Pro Tools. Now I’m back in the saddle and, time permitting, I really hope to have this one finished by late Spring or early Summer. And get this, when we were reinstalling Pro Tools the other night we realized that we had forgotten to enable an extra set of plug-in’s the first time around! What a nice surprise…I now have half a dozen new-fangled sound processors to play with!

About the album, for those who may actually care about such things, it’s coming along nicely. I have roughly 50 songs in various states of completion with about 20 of those still vying for my attention. I’m hoping to begin editing them soon, adding some vocals (I’m really hoping to improve on the sloppy harmonizing found on Bomba Charger), guitar and (possibly) trumpet. There’s a lot of work to do, but I think it should be a much better album- certainly the sound quality and mix will be drastically improved.

No comments: